Monday, October 19, 2009

Should Teens read The Canterbury Tales? Why or Why Not?

Based on your readings in Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales and our discussions in class, explain your answer to the above question using personal commentary, text references, and references to dicussion in class. Please use your school gmail account to post. Once you have responded to this question, go back and read through your peer's posts. Comment on at least two of your peer's comments. Be professional in your personal commentary, you will receive 5 points for your comment, and an additional 5 points for each response made to a peer. Total 15 points

* You must set up your own google account to post. Please create a student google account that has a username that is recognizable. I suggest you use first name and last letter initial and a number that is important to you, or first initial and last name and a number that is important to you. I would not use both names in my username for security reasons. Use this account for student/professional reasons. We will be using our google accounts throughout the year.

Grading:
5 Points = Thoughtful, Unique, Professional, and Ellaborates using personal commentary,text and discussion from class
4 Points= Thoughtful, Mostly Unique, Professional, and Mostly Ellaborates using personal commentary, text and discussion from class
3 Points= Mostly Thoughtful, Professional, and Somewhat Ellaborates using personal commentary, text and discussion from class
2 Points= Professional and Ellaborates using personal commentary and either text and class discussion references
1 Point= Professional and Ellaborates using personal commentary
0 Points = Lacks professionalism

46 comments:

  1. Teens should read The Canterbury Tales because one can learn a lot from Chaucer’s literature. One of the topics we have learned in class from this book is about specific details. For example, in our papers, the prentice of the Cook was described as “brown as a berry” (Chaucer). Because he is as brown as a berry, the prentice shows that he has been outside in the sun instead of inside, working. Therefore, he is described as being lazy. Chaucer’s specific detail showed me that the prentice was lazy when he didn’t even state it. This specific detail that Chaucer uses reveals a lot more about the character. Specific details are important aspects of writing because they provide a lot of description and description is very important to many readers. Some other things that people can learn from The Canterbury Tales are the lessons that they teach. The tales try to teach that moral deficiencies lead to punishments. In the Miller’s Tale, because Nicholas and carpenter’s wife had tried to trick the carpenter, “the carpenter’s wife was truly poked” and “Nicholas is branded on the bum” (Chaucer 106). As seen in the tale, both of these characters were punished for lying to the carpenter. This could also be called karma, where past deeds can come back to reward or to punish. The tale teaches the lesson that immoral actions lead to consequences and that is an important rule to live by. Through Chaucer’s tales, one can see the importance of specific details and the importance of lessons. Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales is a book that teens should read because it teaches and demonstrates a lot about literature.

    Kelvin Wong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that teenagers should read "Canterbury Tales". We all should read this book because it teaches us stories of the good and bad ways of life. It has good morals for teenagers. Teenagers usually try out new and different things, so if we all learn about consequences that can happen to us after we do something wrong, then we all might not do bad things as much. We will learn how to not do things like Chaucer's characters do. In the "Miller's Tale", the love knots that erupted through the story leads to troubles. It teaches us that if we let our hearts lead our lives, we can end up as crazy, hurt, or lonely. The "Reeve's Tale" is the same too. It shows us that when we lie to others and steal, those actions can lead to pain and anger. In the "Pardoner's Tale", the three men who were supposed to be friends tricked each other and that did not end up well; they all died. In "The Wife of Bath's Tale" it shows us that trying to gain everyone and everything you want can lead to heartbreak. All these tales show us that once to do something to unintentionally or intentially hurt someone else, the actions always lead to something more and nothing good. This book teaches us that our ways of life always can lead to something more, for the better or for the worse. This book will teach us teenagers that whatever we do, we will have something to gain or loose from our actions that we took.

    samantha launius

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my opinion, I do believe that the Canterbury Tales should be read by teens. Though some of Chaucer’s tales are can be inappropriate, his tales are both timeless and can be useful today. Teens can enjoy reading the Canterbury Tales because some of the tales are humorous as well as educating. They can benefit from the different morals that are taught to people, even teens in our generation. For example, in the “Pardoner’s Tale”, it is taught to us that one shouldn’t trick a friend because karma will come back and do the same. In the tale, three friends end up trying to hurt each other, but in the end all of them die because of their behavior.
    In addition, many of Chaucer’s tales are humorous to the point where teens can get a laugh while reading and enjoy it too. Both the “Miller’s Tale” and the “Reeve’s Tale” add humor to the Canterbury Tales because these two tales make fun of one another while at the end of the tales, both have consequences for the characters in the tales as well as their actions. This can help teens learn different morals and allow them to still enjoy reading. Not all books are able to have all of these elements, but Chaucer was definitely able to do a good job including all these elements.

    Adrianna Czerlonko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I think that teens should read the “Canterbury Tales” because it helps expand a teen’s analysis skills. In the “Canterbury Tales,” Chaucer does not tell the reader what is really happening. One has to infer these things. For example, Chaucer uses specific details to describe the characters. He does not say what they are like, but one has to use what is provided and think outside of the box to figure it out. Such as in the “Cook’s Tale” when Chaucer describes the prentice as “Brown as a berry.” Chaucer earlier in the Tale says that Peter is a prentice for a person who deals with victualling trade. This is a part where a teen has to analyze the sentence. I personally did not know what victualling trade was. So if I did not know what this word meant, then someone else does not know either. For one to fully understand the book, one must go and figure things out. I looked up the word in the dictionary and found that it means working with food. Looking up words in the book that a reader does not know helps expand the vocabulary and the understanding of the sentence. With this all done one can analyze the sentence properly and say that the prentice is pathetic. If you work with food and have a tan, then it means you do not do your job and that, to me, is pathetic. One has fully analyzed this sentence and has figured out what the character is like. Then you can build off of what you know to get to a greater idea such as what might happen next. From just an analysis of a sentence one has figured out much more than what is stated. If I got a lot out of the book then other teens will too. If teens read this, then they will have to learn how to compromise and analyze the book to understand it and that is what true reading is about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Canterbury Tales is a good book for teens to read because it can expand their vocabulary and help there reading skills. This may be a hard language to read because of the time it was written, but if you really understand it then it was funny and entertaining. I personally thought that the books were funny because the narrator, Chaucer, was talking throughout the whole book, and because of the comments that they put into the book. In this book there are characters that all teens can relate to. For example the night it a true do-gooder, and the priests are pretend do-gooders, and I think that being in high school that everyone can find a person that fits that character exactly. Also it brings together all sorts of people that normally wouldn’t get along, so this could set a good example for teens to not be so vicious with each other because of their exterior. This book brings up good life lessons in its stories because it shows what greed can do to somebody and it shows how someone can unknowingly put other people, such as wives in a horribly view. This book is a good book for teens to read because it is educational, has good life lessons, and is entertaining.

    -yvette sanabria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although Canterbury Tales is filled with English literature and hidden meanings, I don't feel that it is a mandatory book for teens to read. I think most would agree that some teenagers these days are lazy and most would not take the time to look up old English words and unfamiliar terms. What's the point of them reading a book if they get nothing out of it? It would be the same as if they were reading another language. If teenagers wouldn't take the time to understand the text and life lessons of every tale, then they wouldn't get any knowledge from reading it. Chaucer's humor is potrayed in his life lessons; and the fact that he is the one teaching them in raunchy ways, not his characters. Through his writing he teaches that greed and unfaithfulness is a moral sin and only leads to bad things in life. In every of his tales a character is punished for their wrong doing. Unless it was a choice, most teenagers would not like to be forced to read this book and therefore would not try to discover hidden messages in Chaucer's text.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that teenagers should read Cantbury tales because this book teaches you vauluable lessons in life. Although this book looks very boring and teenagers would probably think they wouldn't enjoy the book, once you reach inside and discover the meanings to this book it could change your life. This book teaches morals to the readers. In the millers tale the lesson learned is what goes around comes back around. Also in the wife of bath the lesson learned is that women want to be treated as equals to men. ahough Chaucer's writing is hard to understand, it will make you a better reader. So i think teenagers should read The canterbury tales because of the morals learned. Also it would make them better readers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do think that teens these days should read The Canterbury Tales because it has special meanings in each story that can relate to today's life. Almost like life lessons that you can read out of a book and learn from other peoples mistakes before you actually make that same mistake. In one of the stories it tells a tale about a woman cheating on her husband but two men want her and when she goes and cheats she thinks she will just cheat and nothing will happen to her. But instead she gets "bit in the butt" and now her husband is being mocked at by the whole town and now she is known as the crazy man's wife. And this just goes to show that these stories can teach you a lesson about life and about mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that there are reasons both for and against teens reading the Canterbury Tales. One reason that teens should not read the Canturbury Tales is that a lot of them are dirty and the characters do wrong things. However, Chaucer uses those kinds of things to show morals. Like in the "Miller's Tale," the woman cheats on her husband; but in the end, all those who do wrong, including the woman, get punished. The stories all have morals, so teens can learn from them. Not only do the stories have morals, but it is good literature. It can be used to learn about specific detail. Chaucer describes each character specifically, both by telling and showing, in the prologues and even the tales. The Canterbury Tales is also an important part of English literature and is good for learning about the great authors and literary works of that time. Because of all of this, one can see that there are reasons that teens should and should not read the Canterbury Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teenagers should read the Canterbury Tales in their English classes because there is a lot that can be learned from this story. One important lesson in Canterbury Tales, is exactly what we have been learning in class, how to use character details to enrich one’s writing. Chaucer is a great example of character details, he takes the time to create a deep persona for each of his characters that make the reader feel like they have seen and know the person he describes. Take the Reeve for example, he “was old and choleric and thin;/ his beard shaven closely to the skin” (Chaucer 35) in this section, Chaucer describes the Reeve physically for the reader to better understand him. He also elaborates on the character’s actions which help to portray them. Canterbury Tales is also important because it is used to teach the development of early English, which was during the time that these tales were written. I know that I personally have learned so much from the videos and class discussions we had on this time period and how the English language was developed. Lastly I think that the Canterbury Tales should be read because it has good morals, not only do these stories provide entertainment, but they also teach timeless lessons. These stories although written in the 14th century are still important today in my opinion. Although it may not be necessary to read the entire Canterbury Tales to get a taste of the character development, language of this time, and important morals, I think that it is important that teenagers read at least a few of the stories from this great book, Canterbury Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my opinion, teens should read The Canterbury Tales. They can learn a lot from Chaucer's writing style which will help them improve their own writing. Teens can learn how to use specific details to develop their characters. For example, Chaucer uses repetition to show that the prentice has a passion for dancing instead of just stating that he likes to dance. Teens can also learn from the morals that Chaucer puts into every tale. The Canterbury Tales is also written in Old English which is where modern English came from. Teens are learning about the history of the English language while they read. In conclusion, I think teens should read The Canterbury Tales because they can learn about Old English and writing styles at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy
    I believe that you have brought up an interesting idea: Modern English comes from Old English. I agree that reading The Canterbury Tales is a necessity because one can learn a lot from the origin of their own language. It is important to learn about a relevant history because it both interests and teaches people. Chaucer's Old English writing in The Canterbury Tales is a useful source for learning about the origin of Modern English. I also agree that teens can learn how to use specific details to develop their characters. In the movie we watched in class the other day, a man explained that Old English is much more rich and musical than the English we use today. Therefore, specific details written in Old English are more descriptive and rich than those in Modern English. For that reason, reading the Old English in The Canterbury Tales is important for learning how to create more descriptive specific details in writing. As you said before, teens should read The Canterbury Tales because they can learn about Old English and its significance in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I believe that "The Canerbury Tales" is a great book for teens to read. This book has a wide variety of generas all packed into one fun book. Their are lots of lessons and morals to be learned from each tale, and at the same times the tales are told in a form that apeals to most kids humor, involving alot of adultry and sexual content. This book has pleanty of funny tales to keep a reader interested. The book is also written in old english, which makes it a bit of a stimulating read, it makes the reader think more. I think that all teens should give this book a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. FDecastris
    I totally agree with you that the book can teach life lessons. This novel does an amazing job at taking old english literature and turning it into very modern lessons. Things like adultry and punishment seem to be a major theme in this book, and those are very serios things in the real world today too. This book implants positive moral views by instilling a negitive outlook on the reaction of acting out of lust and greed. Which is a lesson hard learned in life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adrianna
    I agree that the “Canterbury Tales” are inappropriate at times, but the tales are fun to read like you said. One can get a few laughs at the fact that Chaucer uses inappropriate actions to make a joke. Many people can interpret it in different ways and that is why it could be inappropriate or funny. When Chaucer says that Absalon kissed Alison’s rear in “The Miller’s Tale,” a reader may think of it as two different things. One reader may think of it as just plain disgusting, while others may think of it as a hilarious prank. So there is humor and inappropriateness in the “Canterbury Tales.” Also, I agree with the fact that the book teaches morals. Everywhere in the book there are morals to be learned and you picked on that fact quite well. As you said before, teens should read the “Canterbury Tales” because it teaches us morals and it is fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. FDeCastris
    I agree that the “Canterbury Tales” teaches us lessons in life. The whole book has many morals that are valued in today’s society. We learn from other people’s mistakes and we know that we should never do what they did. Having so many punishments and consequences in each tale helps the reader see different life lessons. So if teens can get life lessons out of reading the “Canterbury Tales,” then they should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adrianna-

    You say that teens in our generation can learn life lessons from this book, but what if they are careless about reading it? I agree that Chaucer does a great job adding all of the elements you described in his novel but what would make teens want to read about that? Why do they need to read a challenging book to learn life lessons? There is a point or theme to almost every book that people can learn from, what about this book is different than the others? I guess what I'm trying to prove is that yes Chaucer's book is filled with humor and hidden messages, but how is that beneficial to the negligence of some teenagers?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Abby-

    I agree that some of the content in the book is as you said "dirty" because the characters "do wrong things." Yes these are good lessons to teach teens as they enter adulthood, and yes this book does a good job of stating disciplines for wrong actions. It also does have great literature and old English that is good to learn. The book contains these elements, but I don't feel that means it is important to read as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, I think that teens should read the Canterbury Tales, because while some of the parts maybe raunchy, they all show unique and moral values. I think that it is important because the character who does something wrong, never truly benefits from it in the long run, even if it does help them out for a while. I think that everyone can relate to this because, for example if you lie about something to your parents it may get you out of trouble for the time being, but eventually it will come back to you and you will more than likely end up in trouble anyway. These stories can really teach teens life lessons that they may not learn otherwise. I think it is good at Chaucer goes into so much detail because, he isn’t afraid to say things that may be considered as bad, or that you have to “hush hush” on the subject. I think this is also good for teens to learn. It also gives them a fresh perspective from eyes that have seen more then we have.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think that teenagers should read Canterbury Tales because although it has language and context from oldern English that some of us may not understand, it still has the same meaning behind it that would be interpreted today. In most of the tales, they are raunchy and inappropriate, but also very humorous. If you look at it today, most of the humor that goes along with teenagers today include inappropriate jokes and such. The stories teach you a lesson in life, and some may even relate to you in some way or another, which may or may not change your morals. Another thing you can learn from Canterbury Tales is that you can learn a lot from a person by not only seeing what they do, but how they look and react to the world. This is using showing details by descriptions and actions.
    Another reason you should read this book is because it's telling you about consequences and the effect of them. Life is tough, and in the book it's showing you how a simple action can turn into a huge mistake and you then get a consequence. This goes along with the whole ideal of "life lessons". Yes, it takes some sort of a while to get into the book, but once you get through it you can come out learning more than you did before you even picked up the book.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Roxy---

    I agree with your reasonings. I also do believe that "The Canterbury Tales" helps us become more creative writers in many ways. It does have very good morals that can teach other people many things that can stick with them for a long time. Chaucer's writing does help enrich our own vocabulary. His writing is so out there and rich that he is one of the authors that is the base work for modern time writing.

    samantha

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yvette---

    I really do not think it is funny, but once in a while Chaucer does make humor in his writing. Chaucer's writing style does imporve our own vocabulary. He uses many new words that can help expand our own choice of words. I like that point that you made in saying that we, teens, can relate back to the stories because it shows us how many different people can get along. I think that teenagers should get along more. Chaucer does give us a new world of where people should and do get along. We all should apply Chaucer's ways into our own world.

    samantha

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that teen should read "Canterbury Tales" because it shows us what is was like in old England and how acted towards each other. Also it shows us what type of language was spoken in that time period and how modern English has changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amy-
    I really like the points that you brought up. I agree that teens can learn from Chaucer's use of detail. Not only can they learn to write better, but I think that they can learn to pick up those details and understand the characters being described more in depth. I also agree with the point you made about the Old English. I think I heard that some words might have been changed, but the way it is written, the words it uses, and the historical content can help teens learn more about the history of the English language and England itself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kayla
    I agree with your statement that Chaucer teaches the lesson that "the character who does something wrong, never truly benefits from it in the long run, even if it does help them out for a while." As I had written in my first post, in the Miller's Tale, "the carpenter's wife was truly poked" and "Nicholas is branded on the bum" (Chaucer 106). This was a result of both of them trying to trick the carpenter and telling him lies. While they are able to trick him for some time, eventually they are also punished for doing something wrong. Therefore, the Miller's Tale is a great example of a life lesson that shows that immoral characters are always punished. I believe that this is an important lesson because being moral is beneficial to many while being immoral is not beneficial to many. I agree that many of the lessons in The Canterbury Tales are important and that is a reason why teens should read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Libby-
    I understand what you are saying about the book, and I agree with some of the points, but I do not know if I can agree with your conclusion. You said that "some teenagers these days are lazy and most would not take the time to look up old English words and unfamiliar terms." That is true and it can be hard to do, but I do not think it is the best reason to not read the book. I think that if that is the problem, some of it is to blame on the teens for being lazy. I do not think that students could learn many things without working towards it. If it is too hard to read, and not only the laziness that makes it impossible to read, then I agree with you. If the teens are not able to read the book at all, then there would be no point in reading it. However, I think that as long as the difficulty is reasonable, it is the responsibility of the student to take the challenge of reading the book to get the good things out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brian,
    I agree with you, the book does provide a great sense of humor, in a learning package. While reading this book your able to laugh and still learn something at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kenny,
    I agree with you that Chaucer's story tend to have a sense of mystery to them, by having the author not telling you everything. I think that it lets the readers fill in the gaps with their own stories.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kenny –
    I agree with your opinion that “The Canterbury Tales” do help expand a teen’s analysis skills. They make the reader do work and not just simply read and understand it right away. The fact that the tales are a bit more challenging to understand and more uncommon words are used, that is to show that we can understand Chaucer’s readings, its just that we need to take more time to look up words and complete “the puzzle”. Because higher leveled students read this book, there shouldn’t be that much of a problem whether or not teens do read this book. As Kenny also said, that if teens fully analyze the book and take the time to read it, then they will have a better understanding and take advantage of the different morals that were taught by Chaucer in the book.

    Adrianna Czerlonko

    ReplyDelete
  32. Roxy –
    I like your opinion on “The Canterbury Tales”. I agree that Chaucer uses great examples of specific details that can as well help us today. Even when we do write stories now, we use specific detail to describe our characters and reading other books that have examples of that make us become better writers. Also learning about early English is important too because we are able to see where our language started and how it was used. This gives us a better understanding of how our language has changed over time. Roxy, you also said that we don’t need to read the whole book to understand specific detail and I agree with that as well. You can read one or two tales and still be able to understand what Chaucer is trying to tell us.

    Adrianna Czerlonko

    ReplyDelete
  33. Amy, I agree with your statement that reading Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales can show you where our present day language. I believe that this is a good reason to read the book because it is a great learning experience. You can learn where the language that we speak now came from and how it developed by just reading the Canterbury tales and other old English texts. I also agree with your other statement about his writing teaches us how to use specific details because I think that it is important that we learn it now by example instead of in class by just speaking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Samantha, I agree with that Chaucer’s literature brings problems and consequences, but I don’t think that they teach us anything. In many of his stories the text just doesn’t seem like would happen in real life. The stories just seem way fictional to teach us a lesson. No one is really going to cheat on a spouse by telling him the world was going to end and we needed a boat, or by letting him go blind and climbing up a tree to cheat. I do believe that it sends a message that bad choices do have consequences, but I just don’t see anyone learning what the consequences could be.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Abby-

    I can see where you are coming from about having reasons for both sides. While The Canterbury Tales is a dirty book that has characters doing wrong things, it makes up for it by giving them each a punishment for their crime. Since the book is sort of dirty, maybe teens would like it more and want to keep reading. I agree with you about the book being a great piece of literature done by a great author in that time. It is an important book.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Libby-

    I understand when you say that most teens would not want to read the book. They would be uninterested and miss out on the deeper meaning of Chaucer's writing. The Canterbury Tales is a hard book to understand and if teens just read it to read it, it won't be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  37. David :
    I agree with what your saying, but if your saying the book is "boring" in the beginning, then how can you get teenagers to actually read the book if your putting it out as boring. If you were recommending the book to me like that, then I probably wouldn't even consider picking it up. I would describe the book to be a tad bit more difficult to read and understand, which is more appealing to a reader that takes books as a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Brian :
    I understand you when you say "learn a lot of morals", but how would any of those life lessons and consequences be related to teenagers today? Also, if the language is difficult than the books we're used to reading today, then how would us teenagers be able to actually fully understand the moral being taught in the tales?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes, I believe that teens should read the "Canterbury Tales" because it is a classic literature book which has mature themes and a old English language that can further make someone's knowledge increase. "Canterbury Tales" has adult suggested plots that are sometimes covered up. In order for someone to understand the context of the tales, they would have to have a certain amount of maturity. If they were able to understand what was happening in the story, it would show that they were learning to look for the deeper meaning, and that they are mature enough to read the "Canterbury Tales". Also, the "Canterbury Tales" were written in an old English language with a poetic rhythm to it. With the rhythmic style in the book, it helped readers get the flow of it and help them focus more onto the style of the text. Because this book was written in a more difficult way, it requires readers to dig deeper then what was just stated. Teens have a tendency to just read what is said and not think about what it means. the "Canterbury Tales" help a teen, or any reader, practice searching for what the text means.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Caroline-
    I agree with you that every tale has its consequences. I think that teens can really benefit from this because it will show us that even though saomething may help us now, it is more then likely going to come back and haunt us in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  41. David-
    What you said about teenagers seeing the "Canterbury Tales" as a boring book, but once it is read, it actually becomes some what interesting. A lot of times, people read books and just go through it without getting anything out of it and just say it was a boring/bad book. With the "Canterbury Tales",the tales within the book are amusing and do teach life lessons with the stories told. I agree with your decision of that teenagers should read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Brian-
    I agree with you that the book does teach a lot of differnt morals. I also think the book has a lot of unique and funny parts to it that can really make it more interesting for teens to read so its not just the same old boring things that we hear about in almost every other moral book.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Caroline-
    The point you made about how tales in the "Canterbury Tales" are raunchy and inappropriate, but jokes that are said today by teens and young adults are also inappropriate make a great deal of sense. Since, teenagers do tell crude jokes, they would be more attracted to reading books that imply such things as that. If teenagers were attracted to books that are more like them today, it would help many teens be able to enjoy reading a bit more than they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I agree with kwong because chaucer does give insanely desriptive ideas that show things without him even having to put it in those words exactly. He can be saying that a character is not smart or very smart without even saying "he/she was dumb or smart" This way of writing is a good thing to be exposed to, i think. Also i agree with yvette about her comment on the expanding vocabulary that chaucer gives us. But also i believe that The Canterbury Tales are good for teens to read because it teaches us that whatever we do and all choices we make have conciquences. In every one of his stories, chaucer tells about "bad" characters and what is so freeing is that they always have a punishment for their wrong doingings. it's important for us to know that we will always have conciquences.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Libby-
    I can see why you said that most teenagers are too lazy to read it and actually take the time to try to understand it. But if it was mandatory to read for a class I'm sure that most teenagers would take it seriously and learn a little bit from each tale. And maybe once in a while they would get a chuckle out of the tale while they were learning some life lessons and morals.

    ReplyDelete
  46. yvette-
    I totally agree with you. By reading this book it can help you with expanding your vocabulary with this old english words and at the same time are very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete